During the first Republic, in 1873, it was arranged that the titles issued by this School had the same powers and official character as those granted by the School of Practices of Almadén, so that the titles changed their denomination to that of Optional Mining Foremen . It should be noted that the regulated studies of the Capataces Facultativos de Minas de Almadén (the first of its kind in Spain) date formally from 1835, when the Academy of Mines of Almadén moved to Madrid with the new designation of Escuela de Minas, They focused on Almaden the practical studies of Mining, whose Curriculum was published in the Royal Order of February 1841.
The School of Mines of Cartagena initially depended, in hierarchical order, on the Directorate of the School of Mines of Madrid and its classes were taught at the premises of the Royal Economic Society of Friends of the Country, until in 1965, in their first phase, they moved to the San Antón building and finally in 1972 they settled in their own building on Paseo Alfonso XIII.
In the academic order, the most important stages are the change of denomination and curricula of its graduates, first to Experts of Mines and, later, to Technical Engineers of Mines, which established the Law of Technological Teaching in 1964.
In 1972, and already with the denomination of University School of Mining Technical Engineering, the School was integrated in the University of Murcia. Then three specialties were studied, related to three activities with an important development in the area: Mining, Metallurgy and Fuel and Explosive Installations.
Royal Decree 336, of January 21, 1977, created the Polytechnic University School of Cartagena, thereby closing the merger of the University School of Technical Mining Engineering and the University School of Industrial Technical Engineering. New studies were incorporated, such as Naval Technical Engineering (1977) and Agricultural Technical Engineering (1986).
By Royal Decree 1050/1992, of July 31, the Superior Polytechnic School of Cartagena was created, grouping the old Polytechnic University School and the Higher Technical School of Industrial Engineering and incorporating the studies of Agronomic Engineering, which began during the 1992 course / 93.
By Decree 12/1996, of March 27, there is a division of the Higher Polytechnic School into four Centers:
E.T.S. of Agronomic Engineering.
E.T.S. of Industrial Engineering.
This division in Centers precedes the creation of the Polytechnic University of Cartagena.
With the creation of the Polytechnic University of Cartagena, and in order to host the Technical Architecture and Public Works Studies, the Center was renamed the University School of Civil Technical Engineering.
In the 2000-2001 academic year, the titles of Technical Architect and Technical Engineer of Public Works, specializing in Hydrology, begin to be implemented during the 2002-2003 academic year. In the 2008-2009 academic year the degree of Technical Architect depends on the Center created on the occasion of the implementation of the Degree in Architecture: Architecture and Building Engineering.
At the end of the 2009-2010 academic year , on the occasion of the adaptation to the EHEA of our titles and the future implementation of the master's degrees in the two engineering branches that we offer , the Center is now called the School of Road and Mining Engineering. The offer of titles for 2010-2011 includes the degrees in Civil Engineering and in Engineering of Mineral Resources and Energy and the postgraduate degree in Water and Terrain Engineering (master's and doctorate).